PUBG(PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds) Mobile was a very popular battle royale game in India, which was banned by the Indian government in 2020. After this the game entered with India-specific features and a new name Battlegrounds Mobile India (BGMI) which has 100 million users in India. But the Indian government once again banned this game due to the internal security of the country and the data privacy of the citizens. Like PUBG Mobile, BGMI was also becoming quite popular in the country. Players are very unhappy due to its Ban. All the Players are eagerly awaiting the BGMI Unban in India so that they can outline their gameplay and start playing. Game developers were shocked due to data privacy and Chinese connection. Now the news is coming out that BGMI may make a comeback in India by the end of this year. However, no information has been shared by the game developer and publisher Krafton regarding the relaunch in India.
Why is BGMI banned in India?
When it was found that data from users’ Android smartphones were being sent to the Tencent -owned China servers thereon the early beta release for Android users in June 2021, anger broke out. Following the finding of the data-sharing violation, Krafton released an upgrade to fix the data-sharing issue with Chinese servers.
The BGMI game was eventually started in May 2021. The game was released on July 2 for Android smartphones and August 18 for iOS gadgets. In almost one year, there are already more than 100 million people who have registered on BGMI.
Based on the petitions approved through designated nodal officers from the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA), the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (Meity) has prevented the gaming application battlegrounds mobile India (BGMI) under the requirement of section 69A of the Information Technology (IT) Act, 2000 and the Information Technology (Procedure and Safeguards for Blocking for Access of Inf. Union for Public) Rules, 2009.”
What is section 69A
Central Government Act
Section 69A(1) related to The Information Technology Act, of 2000
“Section 69A of the Information Technology Act, 2000 describes that problems relating to the sovereignty and integrity of India will remain saved in all aspects and are preserved by provisions 8(1)(a) of the RTI Act 2005.
(1) Where the Central Government or any of its nodal officers specially authorized by it on this behalf is contented that it is important or method so to do, in the concern of sovereignty and integrity of India, defense of India, the safety of the State, peaceful relationship with foreign States or public order or for preventing provocation to the commission of any cognizable offense relating to the above, it may accountable to the requirements of sub-section
(2) for reasons to be listed in writing, by rule, direct any agency of the Government or intermediary to ban for access by the public or reason to be blocked for access by the public any information spawned, transmitted, obtained, stored, or hosted in any computer resource.
Ban in July
The Government of India banned BGMI in India in July 2022. The BGMI game app has since been removed from the Google PlayStore and Apple App Store. However, users whose phones had this app already installed can still play this game. But in the game, players are getting to play only the old series. BGMI is not getting an update on the new season since the ban.
BGMI Unban be soon
BGMI will return in a new avatar If media reports are to be believed, the BGMI game will return in a completely new avatar. BGMI Games will be back in India soon with a new publisher. There is speculation that BGMI may be rebranded and relaunched in India by the end of this year.
It is being said in the reports that the developers of BGMI may launch this game once again with India-specific features. Along with this, it is being said that South Korean company krafton may end its partnership with its Chinese subsidiary Tencent to start the game in India. Let us tell you that Tencent has a 15 percent stake in krafton. Along with this, Tencent is the Chinese publisher of PUBG Mobile, which was also the publisher of the game in India.
The servers will be in India For BGMI to return to India, krafton would have to set up servers in the country. krafton has already agreed to this. In such a situation, BGMI may soon be relaunched in the country along with the Indian Publisher and Indian Server.
Had BGMI returned to India by the end of this year, it is possible that the official information could have been revealed by now. Or else we would have got to see some kind of teaser. In such a situation, it should be assumed that the return of the game BGMI, the India version of PUBG Mobile, may take some more time. BGMI is likely to return by 2023.
Rules to follow by BGMI to unban
- BGMI Unban Date Game – Battlegrounds Mobile India Developer Publisher – Krafton Inc.
- Type of Game – Multiplayer Arcade Game
- Launch Date – Android (2 July 2021) & iOS (18 August 2021)
- Reason for Ban -Violations of Data and Privacy
- Ban Date – 28 July 2022
- BGMI Unban Date – March 2023 (Expected)
- Official Website – www.battlegroundsmobileindia.com