Choosing a good adult diaper can be confusing because of the wide varieties available today. Like in the case of clothes, knowing the correct adult diaper size is essential to guarantee comfort. It is also vital to understand the requirements before buying them. Adult diapers are not just restricted to hospitals now. They are used at home, too. If you want to purchase adult diapers but need help with going about them, read on to learn more.
Who uses adult diapers?
Adult diapers are very commonly used by men and women suffering from urinary or bowel incontinence. This condition can result from old age, mobility impairment, an accident, any other medical issue, or a cognitive disorder. These come with a high absorption capacity for an extended period. This makes them very convenient for use throughout the day and night.
Choosing the best adult diapers
Finding a good adult diaper is relatively easy. By keeping a few factors in mind, the choice becomes easy.
- Size – Adult diapers are available in a variety of sizes. Wearing the wrong size can lead to urine leakage, causing embarrassment for the user. If it is too small or too large, there might be some coverage problems. Measuring the person’s waist and hips is preferable to determine the proper size.
- Leakage – Check the amount of leakage happening in a day. If anyone uses several adult diapers daily and still has urine leakage problems, the diaper must be the correct size and absorbent enough. Always check for leak-proof adult diapers.
- Absorbency Level – It is good to buy an adult diaper with fast liquid absorbency and high retention capacity, especially for people suffering from severe urinary incontinence. For people with mild incontinence, adult diapers with medium absorbency are better. For nighttime use, overnight adult diapers are recommended.
- Comfort – Checking the material is essential when selecting a good adult diaper. Some diapers come with a plastic cover to provide more protection. If people don’t like plastic and prefer more breathable diapers, then non-plastic diapers are good. These enable more air circulation and prevent rashes.
- Odour – It is crucial to look for good-quality adult diapers to manage incontinence and help reduce the bacteria that cause a foul odour. It will also reduce any bacterial skin infections.
Price and Types of Adult Diapers
The diapers for adults can differ. This is because of the diaper’s quality, absorbency level, comfort, and protection. Other factors, such as the size and the diaper capacity, will also determine the price.
The type of adult diaper to choose will depend on the level of mobility. Most patients with incontinence tend to suffer from mobility problems and are bedridden. These people need an assistant for their daily activities. For them, a tape-style adult diaper is an ideal choice. However, the patient will need some assistance to wear these kinds of diapers.
For reasonably active patients (who can sit, stand, or walk alone or with support) with incontinence issues, go for adult pant diapers. They can wear adult pants and diapers without any assistance.
Select the right kind of adult diapers for the most comfort, and remember to consider the size and absorbency levels as well as other factors given above.