Here is How to uninstall Cortana
If you want that Cortana does not activate on its own and work manually, this article will show you how to switch Cortana off or how to Uninstall Cortana. It can be confusing as to how to achieve this as Cortana is embedded deep into the navigating system. There are a few ways that you can stop Cortana from activating without permission. You can even uninstall Cortana or completely remove it from your database.
How to Disable Cortana
If you do not want Cortana to respond when you do not want it to activate, and you want to be able to activate it manually, this method of disabling Cortana from activating when you don’t want it to will help. Follow the steps below that show you how to disable Cortana.
- The first step is to look for the Cortana icon in the taskbar of your computer.
- Once the Cortana app is launched, you need to tap on the three vertical dots which are situated in the upper-left corner of the app.
- Once you have done that, you need to select settings.
- Once you have selected settings, you will see Keyboard Shortcut. Tap on it.
- Now, you will see an option to turn the keyboard shortcut off.
- You will have to restart your computer for the keyboard shortcut turn-off feature to apply.
- Once you have rebooted your laptop, you need to repeat the steps from 1 to 3.
- Now, select voice activation.
- Now, you will see the option to change voice activation permissions.
- Turn off the Let Cortana response to the “Cortana” keyword.
Many people choose to disable the ability of Cortana to respond automatically to voice commands instead of the option to uninstall Cortana, as that is enough. By choosing this method, you can prevent Cortana from responding or activating independently. Hence, your search experience and rest operations will operate as usual.
How to Disable Cortana permanently ( Using registry)
However, if you want to know how to uninstall Cortana, completely follow the steps given ahead. Cortana is embedded into the Windows 10 search functionality. Therefore, merely disabling it can cause an impact on your experience as a user. But, deleting Cortana can be difficult and often confusing. However, if you use Windows 10 Home Edition, you can easily uninstall Cortana with the help of the Registry Editor Tool. But, it is worthy of mentioning that if you disable Cortana through the Windows Registry Editor, it can often be irreversible. If you want to avoid that, you need to perform a clean install of Windows 10.
Once you have made a point of system restoration and are sure that you want to uninstall Cortana permanently, you need to open the Registry Editor.
- First, you need to select the Windows icon and click on the option to “Run”.
- Next, you need to type in “Regedit” and click on Enter.
- Next you need to go to HKEY_Local_Machine> SOFTWARE > Policies > Microsoft > Windows.
- Once you have done that, you need to right-click on the Windows directly, and then you need to click on New > Key.
- Once you see the new folder has been created, name it Windows Search.
- Next, you need to click on the Windows search folder, and then you need to select New > Dword (32–bit) Value.
- You will see a new file has been created and name it “AllowCortana”.
- Next, you need to double-click on the newly created AllowCortana file. Once the file has been opened, set its value to 0 and then select the option “OK”.
- The last step is to switch off the Registry Editor and restart your laptop for the changes to apply.
How to uninstall Cortana in Windows 10
However, this method can be difficult to navigate for everyday users. If you’re a normal laptop user and wonder how to uninstall Cortana, follow the next steps.
- Click the start menu on your laptop and type in PowerShell.
- Click on the Windows PowerShell option and launch it.
- The next step is to choose the “Run as Administrator” option.
- The next step is that you need to type the given text ( except for the ‘ symbols)-‘ Get-Appx Package- allusers Microsoft. 549981C3F5F10 | Remove – AppxPackage’.
- The next step is to press enter.
How to Uninstall Cortana on Windows 11
If you have realized that you do not like Cortana and that it automatically activates, follow the given steps to uninstall Cortana.
- Select Windows + 1 to open the settings option.
- The next step is to choose the Apps from the menu on the left.
- Click on Apps and Features on the right side of the menu.
- Look for the Cortana icon and select it.
- Next, click on the three dots icon.
- Once you have done that, choose advanced options.
- The last step is to flip the toggle, which is named “Run at Log-in”, and switch it off.
If you are looking for how to uninstall Cortana, we provide you with different ways to do so, as the process can get confusing for some. Cortana has been showing up on different locations like Microsoft 365 and team apps. It can often get frustrating when Cortana activates on its own and interrupts what you might be doing. If you do not want Cortana to activate on its own and you wish to operate it manually, or if you want to uninstall Cortana, follow one of the step-by-step methods to do so effortlessly.
You can check out more such interesting blogs on our website.