Today’s world is connected, thanks to smart devices that control everything from your thermostat to your TV. One of the newest ways to connect technology is to use Amazon Alexa with your smart TV. Look at Smart TVs on the market below, how they work with Alexa and how you can connect them together.
Smart TV is currently evolving on the market
If you are looking for a smart TV that works with Alexa, you have several options. You can buy a TV connected to Alexa, e.g. These include the Amazon Fire TV Edition model, Hisense 2018 4K Smart TV, the Sony 4K HDR TV series and several LG models.
Basically, you can turn a simple TV into a Smart TV using a fire TV, a Logitech Harmony, Roku or Dish remote control system, or DirecTV. Lets see how to connect your Samsung smart TV to alexa.
How does Smart TV work with Alexa?
The way your TV works with Alexa depends on what you use.
Smart TV with integrated Alexa offers the most basic settings. If you are using an external Fire TV, you must complete the required setup process. With Roku you can use a fast remote control and there is a completely different process for connecting Alexa to the Dish satellite box or DirecTV.
What is the way to connect your Samsung Smart TV to Alexa?
We will focus on how you can connect Alexa to your particular smart TV. Samsung is a retailer that will announce that its TV will work with voice assistants like Alexa for 2019. How to make connection of your Samsung Smart TV to Alexa:
- First connect your Samsung Smart TV to the SmartThings hub.
- If compatible, turn on your TV and put it on the same network as the hub.
- Press the button on the TV remote control and select “Settings”. Open “System” and select “Samsung Account”. Your TV will now appear in your SmartThings application.
- Open the Alexa application and tap “Menu”. Click “Smart Home” in the drop-down list and activate.
- Use the search bar at the top and search for “SmartThings”. When you find it, tap “Activate”.
- A new window will ask you to log in to your SmartThings account. Enter data and press “Login”.
- You will see a new page with a dropdown area. Click on the arrow bar and select “Live.SmartHomeDB.com”. Click on “Authorization”.
- You should receive a message that Alexa has successfully connected to SmartThings.
- Close the window, find the pop-up menu and click “Find Devices”.
- You will see the SmartThings skill added to the Alexa application with the blue button below it. Tap the blue “Find” button and wait for Alexa to pay attention to all connected devices.
- The process depends on what type of smart TV you are buying. For example, if you buy a Fire Edition TV, simply open the Alexa app and tap the “Menu” icon. Then select ” Videos, Music, and Books” and click “Fire TV”.
This application gives you additional setup instructions. All you have to do is tap “Link device” to make sure everything is confirmed.
How can you use the Alexa application?
After you connect your Alexa application to your Smart TV, there are many ways you can use it to control your TV and other applications such as Netflix, Hulu, Fox Now, NBC, Bravo, ESPN, and many more. Here are some commands that Alexa knows:
“Alexa, see the office” (or the TV show of your choice)
“Alexa, check the office on Netflix.”
“Alexa, turn on ESPN on PlayStation Vue.”
Alexa also supports playback options in the application. For example, you can pause, play, rewind, or even rewind for five minutes to reach your destination.
Alexa will also play the next episode for you on platforms like Hulu or Netflix. Fire TV gives you additional options because Alexa supports searching on this device. Alexa can show you Indiana Jones films or help you find romantic comedies on Netflix.
Don’t wait for your Smart TV to be connected to Alexa. Although the setup process is different from television, it’s relatively simple and you get the benefits of using voice commands to improve your experience.
Do you use Alexa with your smart TV? What do you like about it? Let us know in the comments below or post a discussion on Twitter or Facebook.